Thoughts for Lent & Doublemindedness

I've shared songs to use as devotionals.  Opportunities to praise and one really hits me.  It's Jars of Clay's Two Hands.  My son Alex asked me the other day what does it mean.  I love that he asked.  It would be easy for me to assume that being in a christian home and going to a Christian school he just automatically understands this stuff.  How great that he will still admit he doesn't know it all. {grin}

This song has such wonderful imagery.  When I explained it to him, I used just the chorus and I stood up and acted it out.  You can do this in your own mind.  I do this so often in my own life.  In my walk with God.  I call myself a "2x4" girl because I tell God I want to hear from Him, want to just listen and obey and yet He often has to resort to pulling out the 2x4 with my name on it to get my attention.  I believe it is because of the double mindedness of my behavior that the 2x4 is necessary.  I become numb to my own worldly behaviors and they cease to have any impact on my conscience.  In my quest to be more holy, to live as one deserved of the title righteous or holy or saint -- things Jesus himself calls us -- I need to be focused on God and God alone.  I need to have my worldly focus jarred. 

Oh no.  As I type this and think of Lent and sacrifice; though I am not Catholic I believe the practice of giving something up for Lent is a beautiful and worthy experience.  The first time I did it my choice was not thoughtful, but frivolous and my 40 days were difficult without my chocolate.   The Oh No is because this morning on my way to work I was thinking I'd just "do chocolate for Lent" again, but now I'm thinking that God wants more from me.  I think that God wants me to give him my time for the next 40 days.  No tv shows.  I love my Netflix queue... I love my Lord more.

Over the next 40 days... how are you pulling God closer?
How are you pushing Him away?  --> stop these behaviors, just for the next 40 days and record what happens in your life.



I’ve been living out of sanity
I’ve been splitting hairs and blurring lines
I am a house that is divided
In my heart and in my mind

I use one hand to pull you closer
The other to push you away
If I had two hands doing the same thing
Lifted high, lifted high

I have a broken disposition
I’m a liar who thirsts for the truth
And while I ache for faith to hold me
I need to feel the scars and see the proof

And if we just keep digging we can reach the foundation
Of our souls
And if we just keep cutting all the chains from our hearts
We’ll lose control

And it feels like giving in
It feels like starting over
It feels like waking up, and you know it’s coming
It feels like a brand new day
Open your eyes

0 comments:

Labels